MACHINE OPERATOR’S ASSISTANT
Employee Class: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Production Supervisor
To assist in the operation of various machinery to produce specific products in accordance with specs, instructions, measurements or prototypes. A degree of skill, technique and mechanical knowledge is required. May be assigned to different types of machines as production needs require.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: Duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned as business demands.
- Load and unload materials onto or into machine by pushing, pulling, lifting, or stacking, either by hand or with equipment provided.
- Move levers, pedals, plates, dials, blankets etc. to operate machines
- Replace and or clean worn parts such as guides, cutting tools and brushes
- Inspect material and reports defective materials or questionable conditions to the lead operator implements ISO procedures as directed.
- Follow prescribed safety regulations at all times
- Attach identifying tags or labels to materials, bales or other containers
- Relate with all co-workers and customers in a congenial manner
- Maintain the work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Basic comfort with mechanical applications to become familiar with basic machine functions
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one or two step instructions
- Must read and follow written instructions and add and subtract simple fractions
- Ability to work in independently or in teams while maintaining a favorable working relationship with other company employees
- Regularly required to stand, stoop, kneel and/or crouch
- Capable to lift or move 25 lbs and occasionally lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Occasionally required to climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception
- Ability to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls: reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Grand Traverse Container is a manufacturing plant using corrugated paper. The work is performed in a shop environment. Workers are regularly exposed to dust, odors, noise and variable temperatures. The employee works with moving mechanical parts and machinery.
EDUCATION: Graduation from high school or GED equivalent preferred. One (1) year relevant experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to do the job.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Grand Traverse Container is an equal opportunity employer.