Employee Class: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Receiving Supervisor
Operate forklift or other equipment to load or move materials. Supply production area with needed materials from inventory. Load or unload material onto or from trailers, pallets, trays or shelves. Process required paperwork.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: Duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned as business demands.
- Read work orders via on board computer, follow oral instructions to ascertain materials and product to be moved
- Examine materials received, verify part numbers, check for discrepancies such as damaged or incomplete shipments and implement ISO procedures as needed
- Load and unload materials onto or from trucks, trailers, pallets, racks, etc. by pushing, pulling, lifting, or stacking, either by hand or with equipment provided
- Convey materials or products from storage or work sites to designated areas
- Scan/Attach identifying tags or labels to materials, bales or other containers
- Lift heavy objects by hand or with equipment to assist machine operators
- Move levers, pedals etc. to drive hi lo and control movement of lifting apparatus.
- Operate lift trucks in safe and efficient manner
- Relate with all customers and co-workers in a professional manner
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Strong communication skills including written, verbal and computer generated
- Ability to work independently
- Strong knowledge of receiving, warehouse and material handling methods and operations
- Ability to regularly lift or move 50 lbs and occasionally lift and move up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls: reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Grand Traverse Container is a manufacturing plant using corrugated paper. The work is performed in a shop environment. Workers are regularly exposed to dust, odors, noise and variable temperatures. The employee works with moving mechanical parts and machinery.
EDUCATION: Graduation from high school or GED equivalent preferred one (1) year relevant experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to do the job.
QUALIFICATIONS: Strong knowledge of receiving, warehouse, and material handling operations, methods, and practices.